Hogle Zoo gave me a wealth of material

Jer had the great idea to to sketches in oil paint. He came over and instead of doing our regular charcoal and graphite drawings, we busted out the good ol' grumbacher... It was quite fun. We set up the images on the laptop which makes it roughly equivalent to painting from life and set to sketching. This monkey got out of hand, and was about 2 or maybe 3 hours.
This little guy was only about 30 minutes... Which was nice, because I didn't have to sacrifice accuracy for speed... I got to have my cake and eat it too on this one.

4 comments:

Brandi said...

Rob, I love them all!!! You are so dang talented. I envy my whole artistic family. I really like the angles on the elephant. I would be tempted to hang that one up in my house.

Jami said...

Hey, I thought that same thing too. I wish I had some of these pictures for our house. Of course, it would help if our walls weren't concrete (AGAIN) and we could acutally use nails. Instead, we're getting creative. Rob, you're amazing. We LOVE you.

Toni Dee! said...

I have to say it again - slow down dearie. You really do have a great ability to capture life!!!

Jami said...

My vote is to stick with your thick strokes that don't trace the exact shape of things. It's more realistic and more moving than the usual color-book approach. But then again, that's my style for everything in life. I guess that's what makes art so wonderful--there's something for everyone.