The Gambler


18 x 24 Oil on Linen. NFS.

This lady is a total hoot. She posed for me and this painting was completed from life in 8 hours. She wants to buy it, along with her sister and niece, but they'll all have to wait because its going into my portfolio. Her name is Shanna, and one of my favorite people to play cards with. She taught me Pinochle and I have to say I'm quite an expert now, that and English Rummy. Before she sat for the portrait she insisted on drawing a straight flush to hold, she couldn't stand to look at cards that weren't winning ones, and after we finished she said, "you little sh!#, you can't make me hold these cards all day and then not play with me." So we played pinochle with Jennifer and her sister Manon and I got 1000 aces and shot the moon. :) at which point she had more explatives since I wasn't on her team. :) All in all, I love portraiture as much for the experiences it provides as the challenge of the subject matter. (When painted from life of course).

3 comments:

Travis said...

Rob,
Nicely done. All I have to say is that she is a much more patient woman than I. There's no WAY I'd sit for 8 hours in the same position. I'm way too fidgety, as you know.

--Jami (I'm using Trav's computer and can't sign out of his gmail)

Brandi said...

That's awesome! I love seeing that after hearing stories about her. :) The painting is so great! Way to go.

Mr. Quothatic said...

Wow, Rob! Thanks for the portrait, as well as the personality vignette (feels like we haven't even left
Emery County). Grandma Wilson says that it looks like she could just talk to you! Thanks for the blog. Love, Grandma Wilson & Uncle David